It is that time of year again where asparagus is plentiful. One of my husbands favorite dishes that I make is an asparagus tart! It is quick to make and is more a treat than a chore to eat this veggie dish!
- .75- 1 lb asparagus (one bunch at the grocery store)
- 4 oz Swiss cheese or a sharp cheddar shredded (approx 1 cup)
- 1 leek or 4-6 green onions
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 cup mayo or miracle whip
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- approx 1/4 txp ground black pepper
- 1 graham cracker pie crust or normal pie crust
- approx 1 Tbsp of oil
Kitchen gear you need:
- Medium mixing bowl
- cutting board
- med to large frying pan (or pyrex dish if you shortcut, see below)
- measuring cups
- measuring spoons
- fork or whisk
- cookie sheet
Time: 15-20 min prep, 25 min bake time
Temperature: 375 degrees
1. Turn on burner to a medium heat with your frying pan on it w/ approx 1 tbsp of oil in it. While the oil is heating up slice the green onions or your leek into thin slices. Add to the pan.
2. While the green onions are cooking grab your asparagus and cut or snap off the woody ends. I like snapping off the ends because they naturally snap off where the woody part starts, when you cut off the ends you are guessing approx where the woody ends begin. To snap off ends grab the cut end of the asparagus with your right hand and grab the middle of the stem with your left and then bend- it will snap where woody turns to tender stem. Discard ends and cut remaining asparagus into 1 inch pieces. Add the asparagus to the onions. Turn on oven to preheat to 375 degrees. SHORTCUT ALERT: Put the asparagus and green onions into a Pyrex dish covered and microwave for approx 3-4 minutes until the asparagus is still crisp but partially cooked (will be a brighter green).
3. While the asparagus is cooking (4-6 minutes) work on mixing up the tart mixture. Remember to stir asparagus occasionally, asparagus will not be fully cooked but partially (still crisp but a darker green) when you take it off. In a medium mixing bowl combine the eggs, mayo, pepper, mustard and milk. Then take a whisk or fork and quickly mix together until only little lumps exist. See picture below.
4. Next place the asparagus into the graham cracker pie crust and put the shredded swiss cheese evenly on top.
5. Slowly pour the tart mixture over the asparagus and cheese- SLOWLY! If you do it too fast it will run over the edges because it won’t go through the cheese and asparagus quick enough (learned through personal experience!). See picture below…. my graham cracker crust had an incident so sadly it was broken up but it still tastes the same!
6. Next place the pie crust on a cookie sheet to make it easy to get in and out. Place in oven. Bake approx 25 min until you see some golden brown on the top.