Organic is $$$$!! A few years ago when I started to shift more to organic ingredients I couldn’t find myself coughing up the money for some of them- the price difference was too big for me to swallow. So I started learning that some things that I considered raw ingredients like brown sugar really were not raw ingredients!! Seriously it is just sugar and molasses! Here is how you can make your own organic brown sugar for a third of the price of what you would pay at the store.
- 1 cup Organic Sugar (I buy the 10lb bag at Costco for about $10)
- 1 tablespoon organic molasses (here are some Amazon options)
Kitchen gear you will need:
- Medium mixing bowl
- Large spoon for mixing
- Measuring cups and spoons
- If you have a Kitchen Aid mixer on the counter I recommend it
Here we go:
- Put the sugar and molasses in the bowl (double or triple the recipe if you want).
- Mix until blended. This is about 2 minutes in the Kitchenaid on the lowest speed or a few more minutes if doing by hand.
- Store your organic brown sugar in an airtight container so it does not clump or dry out. I use a Snapware container.
- Feel thrifty and super accomplished that you just made brown sugar!!
Terraganics Living participates in various affiliate programs which means that you might click on a link for a product from which we receive a small commission, although the price for you doesn't change any. Commissions go towards the costs of keeping this sweet site up and running. 🙂