That’s right I am going to show you how to make Green Bean Casserole without a can of Campbells Condensed Mushroom soup! It really isn’t hard- trust me!
So I looked at a few recipes online and then made up my own….. so here we go.
Serving Size: A 9×13 casserole dish
Prep Time: 30 min
Cook time: 35-45 min
- 4 cans of green beans OR 8 cups of blanched cut green beans (I used 4 pints I canned this year)
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped yellow onion (don’t have yellow, use what color you have)
- 4 cloves of garlic pressed
- 2 Tbsp of flour (if you are making this GF use GF variety such as rice flour)
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 16 oz of mushrooms finely chopped (pick what you like)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 cup shredded (extra) sharp white cheddar
- Salt if you want up to 1/2 teas
- 1/4 teas ground black pepper
- A few tbsp of butter or olive oil
- 1 can of fried onions (you can get healthier ones at Whole Foods, local co-op than the typical Frenchs) NOTE: if you are making GF you can use almonds to give the dish a crunch or you can fry your own onions (I have attempted once and failed, plan on trying again)
- 9×13 casserole dish (Pyrex, cake pie etc)
- A large fry pan (12″ should do the job)
- A spatula
Temperature: Preheat oven to 350° ideally but if you can other things in the oven at 375 that works too 🙂
Here we go:
- Heat up your saute pan on Med to Med-High, put a couple tablespoons of butter or olive oil in it. Add onions first, cook 3-5 min then add the mushrooms & garlic. Cook another 5 min until the onions are translucent & the mushrooms are soft.
- Next add in the cream, sour cream and broth. Stir. Add in the flour by evening dusting it over the mixture. Stir quickly.
- Add cheese, stir until melted in. Here is what it looks like…yep cream of mushroom soup!
- Put green beans in casserole dish.
- Turn off heat and carefully pour mixture over beans into casserole dish. Make sure all the beans are covered..you should be able to smear the mixture to cover them easily. Sprinkle onions or almonds on top.
- Bake for 35-45 min until you can tell it is boiling in the casserole dish and the onions are crunchy (if you used onions).
Terraganics Living participates in various affiliate programs which means that you might click on a link for a product from which we receive a small commission, although the price for you doesn't change any. Commissions go towards the costs of keeping this sweet site up and running. 🙂